When should you contact a personal injury attorney after a car accident? Well, immediately following an accident, a lawyer isn’t the first thing on your mind. But victims and loved ones often struggle to pay medical bills and deal with insurance companies offering lowball settlements. Furthermore, insurance companies often try to pressure injury victims into accepting offers too quickly, consequently accepting lower offers than they deserve.
No one is truly prepared to experience a car crash. In the heat of the moment, you may forget what you are supposed to do. There’s a lot to consider at this time. You may be upset or injured, causing you not to think clearly.
Right after a collision, you may be unsure what to do or where to seek help. Do you need to call the police? Do you need to see a doctor? What about contacting your insurance provider? When is it necessary to talk to a lawyer? Unfortunately, for many injury victims, the first hit they take is a missed paycheck. That eventually leads to an overwhelming financial burden that most people don’t know how to resolve.
A personal injury attorney can be a great help in navigating the process to understand your rights and obligations. They can also help you recover the necessary compensation from dealing with the medical bills and other accident-related expenses that add up.
It can be very confusing to understand fault and negligence. Similarly, how to handle the insurance process or how much you should be compensated can be equally bewildering. You want to be sure you are making the right decisions. In such situations, a personal injury lawyer will be your best asset for the most ideal outcome.
What To Do Immediately After A Car Accident
- Contact the police. Call your local police department right away. If you have an emergency situation, call 911. The police can assess the scene, provide documentation, and contact any medical assistance if needed.
- Gather evidence. You will need to document the scene and what happened. Take photographs and make a detailed record of everything that occurred. Write down the name of the police officers and the date, time, and location of the collision.
- Exchange insurance. Be sure to get the other driver’s insurance information accurately. Provide the other party with your personal insurance as well.
- Collect contact information. It is essential that you also collect the contact information for any other involved parties. You will need their name, address, and phone number.
- Get witness accounts. Additionally, don’t forget to collect this information from any witnesses at the scene. Witness statements can be invaluable to your case.
- See a doctor. Whether or not you appear to be injured, it’s important to see a doctor after an accident. Some injuries are not immediately apparent, and you could unknowingly be hurt. No matter how minor the collision, your doctor can check for any physical harm.
- Keep your medical records. You will need to be able to prove that any injury is the result of the accident and not preexisting. Having a medical examination immediately after the accident is essential for establishing the cause of trauma. These reports will be the basis for any medical claims you may pursue.
When Do You Need A Personal Injury Attorney After A Florida Car Accident?
- A motor vehicle collision involving another vehicle, pedestrian, or bicycle
- Any accident where the fault is unclear
- If the accident results in damage to public property
- Accidents that occur in a school zone
- A collision that happens in a construction zone
- When the damage exceeds $10,000, reimbursement of your insurance, as is often the case
- Any physical injury to you or someone else as a result of the incident
- If you believe that the police report is an inaccurate account of what truly happened
- If the other driver involved in the accident is uninsured or underinsured
- If an accident causes significant loss of work to you or a passenger
How Will A Florida Personal Injury Attorney Help Me After A Car Accident?
Your attorney will help you to optimize the best usage of your insurance coverage options. Because Florida is a no-fault state, navigating your insurance after an accident can be confusing without legal assistance. A personal injury lawyer will help you to know when to use insurance or when to seek a settlement.
Your legal team will communicate with the insurance companies on your behalf. Consequently, you will be better cared for and compensated. With strong legal representation, insurance companies are less likely to try to take advantage of you. You can rest easy and focus on healing, knowing you are being taken care of to the best extent.
A lawyer will gather and maintain all the details of your accident. Their expertise will be crucial in documenting and preserving the evidence from the collision. Likewise, your attorney will help to validate the scope of the injuries you sustained through the use of your medical records.
A lawyer will also help you with figuring out how much compensation you really deserve. Their experience is indispensable for calculating the economic effect of the incident. This knowledge is used to assess the damages to your property and person. It also analyzes how the accident impacted your income at the time and your future earning potential.
What Types Of Compensation Can You Recover After An Auto Collision in Florida?
- Medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Loss of life
How Soon Do You Need To Contact An Attorney
In Florida, a car accident victim only has four years to file a claim for personal injury. Four years may seem like a long time, but legal actions are complex and take much longer than you imagine. Yet, the statute of limitations isn’t the only reason you should reach out to an attorney with haste.
In order to be responsible, it’s important that you get in touch with your insurance agent quickly. Of course, the other party will be doing the same as well and with their benefit in mind. Therefore, you should contact an attorney first so that you have the best defense for yourself and your interests. Without expert representation, you could unknowingly accept terms that are not to your advantage.
Contact A Florida Personal Injury Attorney Today
It’s invaluable to discuss the particulars of your situation with an expert Florida personal injury lawyer.
We will delve into your case to the fullest extent and represent your interests during any and all negotiations. The quality of your legal representation will greatly affect the amount of the settlement you can receive after a car accident.
Contact us today for a free consultation.